About Me

My photo
"Tout fait Maison" probably is the closest way to express how I like to live my life. I have always love making everything from scratch in my own kitchen since I was a little girl growing up in Hong Kong. Unfortunately kitchens in Hong Kong are much smaller and people do not always have the "real" oven there but only the toaster type oven. Therefore, things did not always turn out in my Hong Kong kitchen until I get my real kitchen here. To me, baking and working with dairy products are like doing science experiments. I get extremely excited when I see that my cheese is forming the way it should be or my bread is rising properly. When my end products come out perfectly, that is probably what I strive for. So I would like to share my secrets with all my friends who enjoy baking and enjoy kitchen experiments as much as I do. I have been a French trained aritsan chocolatier for the last 8 years and I still feel like there are so much to learn in the chocolate and pastry field. Having traveled the world and trained in two of the most amazing schools in France (Valrhona Chocolates and Lenotre),my goal is to spread my joy of baking to all of you.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Guimauve (French Marshmallow)


One of the things I notice a lot when walking on the streets of Paris or France in that matter is the jars of pastel color cubes of guimauve all display beautifully either by the windows or on counters in the candy stores.  They are in pink, baby blue, pastel purple, green and yellow and they all look very spongy and fluffy resemble pillow like texture.  French loves their guimauve because they remind them of their childhood and who wouldn't enjoy such light and spongy sweets.  I have tried many guimauve recipes and I have made changes along the way and finally got to this version that give the texture that I enjoy the most.  To make your life easier and get you out of "sticky" situation literally, you just need to make sure you have either Pam or some oil around to grease the pan well so that it will be very easy to release the guimauve on to the cutting board when it's time to cut them in strips or cubes.  French like them in long thing strips sometimes and will cover them with mixture of cornstarch and powdered sugar but I like mine in bit squares tossed in toasted coconut.  And if you would like to add color, please do so at the very end of the process when the guimauve is almost done.

Ingredient

3/4 cup of cold water
2 package of 1/4 oz powdered gelatin
1/2 cup of corn syrup
1 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp of salt
1 cup of toasted coconut

  • Combine the gelatin and the cold water in a bowl and set aside

  • In a heavy bottom sauce pan combine the corn syrup, granulated sugar, water and salt then cook until it reaches 235 degree

  • Take it off the heat, then add the gelatin mixture into the cooked sugar, use a spatula to mix them well together
  • Transfer mixture carefully to the stand up mixer (be very careful as the mixture is very very hot still and move slowly so that you do not splash and burn yourself)

  • Using the whisk attachment and whisk on medium high speed for 6 to 8 minutes until stiff peak forms and at that time you can add vanilla or other coloring into the mixture if using

  • Spray a square glass dish with Pam then transfer mixture into the dish and spread evenly

  • Let dry for a few hours then spray the top of the guimauve with Pam then flip the whole thing out on a cutting board, spray the knife both sides with Pam or oil

  • Cut guimauve into cubes and toss them into toasted coconut

You can eat them right away or you can package them and give them as gifts, and they are wonderful with your Chocolat Chaud too.


6 comments:

  1. Another winner recipe Ivy!! I'm always captivated by the clearness of your photos and directions!! I'll try these for sure. Thank you once again for sharing your experiences and wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading it and liking it and you and K are always my number one fans! lol yeah, do try it, I think you will enjoy this texture better and perhaps try again on the rice krispies with this one. Merry Xmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty, Ivy! I am contemplating doing this without the toasted coconut, though it looks so pretty with the coconut on there. We'll see if I get the courage to try...

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is my first visit to your very wonderful site. i came from pamela sheldon johns. congratulations on a wonderful collection of recipes, beautifully presented and clearly written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to try this. I'll let you know how they come out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how come you cook 235 degrees ??? is carbon already

    ReplyDelete