About Me

My photo
"Tout fait Maison" probably is the closest way to express how I like to live my life. I have always love making everything from scratch in my own kitchen since I was a little girl growing up in Hong Kong. Unfortunately kitchens in Hong Kong are much smaller and people do not always have the "real" oven there but only the toaster type oven. Therefore, things did not always turn out in my Hong Kong kitchen until I get my real kitchen here. To me, baking and working with dairy products are like doing science experiments. I get extremely excited when I see that my cheese is forming the way it should be or my bread is rising properly. When my end products come out perfectly, that is probably what I strive for. So I would like to share my secrets with all my friends who enjoy baking and enjoy kitchen experiments as much as I do. I have been a French trained aritsan chocolatier for the last 8 years and I still feel like there are so much to learn in the chocolate and pastry field. Having traveled the world and trained in two of the most amazing schools in France (Valrhona Chocolates and Lenotre),my goal is to spread my joy of baking to all of you.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Japanese Souffle Cheesecake



When Clive was living in New York, we would eat a lot of New York Cheesecakes at the Jewish Deli and they are dense and super heavy.  After a few bites it would be enough for me even though they are super delicious.  Then when we start traveling to Japan we encounter another kind of cheesecake, these are the souffle cheesecakes!  They are light, fluffy and heavenly to eat and they are much less sweet than their New York counterparts. Much less calories? Maybe maybe not as I can eat these cheesecakes piece after piece and before I know it, I have finished the whole cheesecake!  All of 18cm in diameter that is.  So I hope that you will try this recipe as they are really easy to make and the trick is to beat the egg whites as stiff as it can and fold in the whites into the batter so very gingerly.

Preheat oven 302 degree

Line the bottom of a 18cm Springform pan with a piece of parchment paper

Crust:

8-10 Biscoff biscuits, crushed
3 Tbsp. of melted butter

  • Crush the biscoff biscuits until they are in a powder form, I usually just put them in a ziplog bag (small one) then beat them with a wooden rolling pin, nothing to wash afterwards and quick
  • Melt the butter
  • Mix the two together
  • Push evenly into the Springform pan


Cheesecake batter:

100g whipped cream cheese (get the whipped one, you will thank me!)
15g sugar
2 egg yolks
100ml heavy whipping cream
1 tsp lemon juice
20g all purpose flour

  • In a medium bowl mix whipped cream cheese, sugar, and egg yolks together until pale yellow color
  • Add heavy whipping cream next
  • Then the lemon juice, mix well
  • Add flour last


For the egg whites:

2 egg whites
25g sugar
  • Beat egg whites until stiff
  • Add sugar and beat well into the egg whites

  • Fold the egg whites into the cheesecake batter
  • Make sure to do this gingerly or else the cheesecake will deflate
  • Slowly put the batter into the prepared crusted springform pan

  • Bake for 1 hour (even tho the top might be brown, the cake might not be done so make sure to text the cake before taking it out with a cake tester or a skewer, when center comes out clean then it is done)
  • Take out cheesecake and let cool completely before demolding the cake, you can drizzle caramel sauce on the top or add crushed nuts to dress up your cheesecake but for me it is the best as is
  • While the cheesecake is cooling it will deflate a little which is totally normal but it should only deflate a little bit and not a whole lot tho and when you gently push the top of the cake when it comes out of the oven, it should be firm like a cake that means it is done
Equipment Tips:

So everyone who knows me well knows that I love kitchen gadgets and I do not know anyone who has more kitchen machines than me! And  you will probably say "Ivy, do I really need another thing in my kitchen?"  Well if you make a lot of desserts that involved with beating egg whites, this gadget is like magic and we all like magic!  Only with a few seconds and you can whip up from one to many egg whites to perfection.  You can find this online or any other kitchen specialty places in your local area might have it


All you do is to put the egg whites in and spin and in a few seconds you will get very pretty stiffed egg whites

http://www.labellanm.com/Tovolo-Beater_p_10221.html

5 comments:

  1. Oh, oh...I'm so excited about this one!! I can't wait to try this one Ivy...thank you so much for posting it!! Been waiting eagerly!!! See how may exclamation marks I done??:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gingin you should try this one, i think you will like and how do you like the beater? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WILL. DEFINITELY. MAKE. THIS. At some point. What size is the springform pan? And is the oven temp 302 degrees or 320 degrees (if 302, was it converted from C?) Thanks for sharing. I cannot wait, just have to see if I have that pan, or else will need to go buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was baked in a 18cm springform pan. And yes, it was converted from C so you can do 300F and just keep an eye on the cake and depending on your oven it might take a little longer. This cake is super light and sort of like yours but lighter because of the folded egg whites. =) lovely with a little bit of green tea powder

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete